Question:
which flash is similar to the Nikon SB-800 flash?
wonderfully made
2006-08-16 04:01:44 UTC
I desire to have the Nikon sb 800 flash but can't afford it, average price being 250-335.00 on Ebay. So, I'm considering third party flash units. Do anyone know which flash is EXACTLY like the Nikon sb 800 model? (no matter if it's third party or otherwise). I want to do research on any suggestion given. I currently have a Nikon coolpix 8700 camera, but is considering upgrading to the Nikon D200 within the next 6 months. The "suggested flash" will need to be compatible for both cameras. Serious answers Only please....
Three answers:
portivee
2006-08-16 05:44:25 UTC
you could try something like nikon sb-28 or the brother of sb-800, the sb-600 that is cheaper but also good.

for other brand, find Metz. models such as mecablitz 54mz or 44 af-4 for nikon mount should be good too. remember, get a nikon mount flash.
John S
2006-08-16 16:16:18 UTC
I haven't purchased a D-200 yet (maybe in a few months) but I will caution you about one thing....I know of no other flashes that will work EXACTLY like an SB-800. The SB-600 is pretty close in size and power. One of the things the Nikon flash system that I really like is the multi-flash wireless control set-up. I can adjust power ratios from the camera on individual flashes. This really makes life easier on a location shoot where you've placed a flash in a hard-to-reach position. The SB-600 works well with the D-70 and the D2X but I don't know if they are making a dedicated flash for the D-200. I don't know of any other manufacturer that builds a third-party flash that will allow you to use this specific feature.

I've got a wedding photographer friend who shoots Nikon and uses a Metz 76 MZ-5. He likes it because it has more power than the SB-800.

Good luck.
Skypilot49
2006-08-16 12:45:42 UTC
Sigma also makes some very good flashes.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flashes_flashes.asp

The Nikon SB-600 is also very good.